The “Respect and Shame in Healthcare and Bioethics” Workshop Series aims to address the following questions:
- How are the concepts of respect, disrespect, shame and humiliation relevant to healthcare and bioethics debates?
- Could deeper conceptual, philosophical and phenomenological understandings of (dis)respect, shame and humiliation help improve the practice of medicine?
Workshop Series Schedule
- 1 October – Thomas Gutmann, University of Munster – “The Legal Protection of Respect in Healthcare” + ECR presentation
- 22 October – Vania Smith-Oka, University of Notre Dame – “Microaggressions as Forms of Humiliation and Shame within Medical Encounters in Mexico” + ECR presentation
- 5 November – Luna Dolezal, University of Exeter – “Shame-Sensitive Practice in Healthcare” + ECR presentation
- 19 November – Barry Lyons, Children’s Health, Ireland – “Stigma: A Barrier to Mental Healthcare for Healthcare Professionals” + ECR presentation
- 3 December – Peter Schaber, University of Zurich – “Respect for the Patient’s Wishes” + ECR presentation
- 17 December – Dan Zahavi, University of Copenhagen – “Shame, Self and Other” + ECR presentation