About us

The History of Medicine section conducts peer-review research into the history of medicine and provides modules and lectures across the medical and humanities departments of the university. The section also has a library and an extensive medical archive, containing papers and documents donated by doctors and medical institutions.

Succeeding the Institute of the History of Medicine, which was founded in 1951, the History of Medicine section is the oldest research unit for medical history in Switzerland. Under the management of its previous director, the German-American ethnologist Erwin H. Ackerknecht (1957-1971) the section gained an international reputation for academic excellence.