Edited by Manuel Trachsel, Jens Gaab, Nikola Biller-Andorno, Şerife Tekin, and John Z. Sadler, the Oxford Handbook of Psychotherapy Ethics is a project which started in 2016. The complete handbook is planned to be published in print in 2021. It covers the whole range of ethical issues in the heterogenous field of psychotherapy, closing a commonly perceived gap between ethical sensitivity, technical language, and knowledge among psychotherapists. The primary audience is psychotherapists in clinical practice. Furthermore, the Oxford Handbook of Psychotherapy Ethics addresses the whole range of professionals providing mental health services beyond psychology and medicine including counselors, social workers, nurses, or ministers.
This handbook is currently in development, with individual chapters published online in advance of print publication.
National and international collaborators
- Prof. Jens Gaab, PhD - University of Basel, Switzerland
- Prof. John Z. Sadler, MD - UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas
- Prof. Şerife Tekin - University of San Antonio, Texas
Involved PAPE group researchers
Nikola Biller-Andorno, Manuel Trachsel
Online published chapters authored by members of IBME or editors of the handbook
directly accessible online
- Andorno, R. (2020). Dignity in psychotherapy.
- Manríquez, T., Biller-Andorno, N., & Trachsel, M. (2021). The ethics of artificial intelligence in psychotherapy.
- Gaab, J., Locher, C., Trachsel, M. (2021). The ethics of placebo and nocebo in psychotherapy.
- Blease, C., Kelley, J. M., & Trachsel, M. (2020). Patient information on evidence and clinical effectiveness of psychotherapy.
- Corre, V., Bhola, P., & Trachsel, M. (2020). Ethical issues in psychotherapy research.
- Elsner, A. M., & Rampton, V. (2020). Ethics of care approaches in psychotherapy.
- Lampley, S. F., & Sadler, J. Z., (2020). Legitimate and illegitimate imposition of therapists’ values on patients.
- Phillips, J., & Sadler, J. Z. (2020). Evidence, science, and ethics in talk-based healing practices.
- Robertson-Preidler, J., Biller-Andorno, N. & Johnson, T. (2020). Mental health care funding systems and their impact on access to psychotherapy.
- Zürcher, T. (2020). Free will, responsibility, and blame in psychotherapy.
- Stoll, J., & Trachsel, M. (2019). Ethical aspects of online psychotherapy.
- Zur, O., & Trachsel, M. (2019). Beyond the office walls: ethical issues of home treatment, and other out-of-office therapies.
- McKean, A., Trachsel, M., & Croarkin, P. (2019). The ethics of informed consent for psychotherapy.
- Sadler, J. Z., (2019). Ethics considerations in selecting psychotherapy modalities and formats.
- Reiter-Theil, S., & Wetterauer, C. (2019). Ethics of the Psychotherapeutic Alliance, Shared Decision Making and Consensus on Therapy Goals.